Six staff members from the three campus libraries attended a UKS Marketing Course on 31 October and 1 November. The following topics were discussed:
- what is library marketing?
- why do you need to market your library?
- library displays and publications as marketing and promotional tools
- social media as marketing and promotional tools
- understanding library customer needs and expectations
- principles of customer research
- basic principles of developing a marketing plan
- know your library
- mission statement of your library
- relationship building
- assessment of promotional activities and tools
Staff members received practical assignments. They had to design or present a poster and also had to be a one person display reflecting a specific service or event in the library.
There were ample discussions – it was a good opportunity to get a broader scope on library marketing matters, especially the intricacy of making it work over three campuses.
Article written by Louise Vos